Meltwater is a tool that we use to track topics and TNC mentions across print, online, social and broadcast media output. Tracking media coverage can help us to measure the success of our campaigns, deal with crises, and keep tabs on our publicity and how we are portrayed in media.
In Meltwater, TNC staff with access can view media hits by specific keywords and narrow that coverage by time, location, language, and more. Meltwater also provides us access to contact information for key media contacts, and ingests social media mentions, primarily from Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
What can TNC do in Meltwater?
Monitor earned media hits
Factiva Premium Content; Global Print Media; Chinese Data Standard; Broadcast Global; Podcast Monitoring; Meltwater API; Up to 2,500,000 earned media documents per month; Access to 12 months of historical data.
Create reports and dashboards
Unlimited Searches & Dashboards; Automating Reporting
Analyze earned media data
Analyze data by grouping hits in terms of priority tier vs not, by geography, by topic, etc.
Access to a comprehensive list of social media data sources.
Access and Manage Media Contacts
Look up journalist contacts and manage contact lists.
Meltwater Academy Trainings
Meltwater provides many tools in addition to the media monitoring tools TNC has licensed - so it can be a challenge to locate helpful trainings on Meltwater Academy. We suggest the following to get you started!
Explore Media Monitoring
Media Monitoring is done in the "Explore" "Monitor" and "Analyze" sections of Meltwater. Learn how with these trainings: Media Relations: Meltwater Academy
Social Listening in Explore
Social Listening can also be done in the Explore tab of Meltwater. Social Listening: Meltwater Academy
Learn how to locate and vet journalists and create a media contacts list. Media Contacts Training
TNC Meltwater Trainings
You can also get started with a recorded Meltwater training held for TNC by a member of the Meltwater team. For our Regional account holders - with a generic login - you can review our TNC hosted Q&A session:
Regional Account User Q&A
Hosted 6/1/23 for TNC staff who will be accessing Meltwater with a generic email address as part of a regional account. Recording on Box
Regional Account Q&A Slide deck from 6/1/23
Power User Onboarding
Recorded 5/25 and hosted by a Meltwater trainer. This session was an overview of the platform intended to onboard our first user group. Zoom Recording Password: ?$W16Nrq
Media Relations Training Recorded 6/8/23
This Meltwater-hosted training covered how to look up and save reporter info, how to email reporters, how to create automated reports, and more. Recording Passcode: X0GC%qHp Media Relations: Passcode X0GC%qHp
Help & Support Resources
Meltwater Help Resources
How to get support!
Chat on the Meltwater Site: How To Questions
If you have a quick "how to" question, go to meltwater.com and click the chat bubble or, from the Home page when logged in, scroll down to "Get Live Help" Meltwater Login
Request Portal: System Issues
If you find or suspect a bug or system issue, submit a ticket to the Marketing Requests Portal and we will escalate the issue to our customer support team at MW. Marketing Request Portal
Connect with TNC Reps
You can reach out directly to our account rep with questions! Vanessa Romano - firstname.lastname@example.org. Email Vanessa
Reporting Support: What BSO can do for you
Via Marketing Requests Portal, the Data Intelligence and Analytics team can:
Pull media coverage (hits, competition, keyword, topics):
- Submit a request informing us of recent or upcoming media coverage you want to monitor and pull from Meltwater.
- When you submit your request, include the timeframe for these requests (Meltwater includes a maximum of 12 months of historical data).
- Media coverage may be tied to a known media outreach (i.e. press release), or it could relate to monitoring a series of keywords, topics, organizations, or a combination of these.
Create automatic alerts or reports:
- Submit a request to set up either: Ongoing alerts or automatic reports.
- Ongoing alerts will automatically inform users of new media coverage around a set of keywords or topics, when it happens.
- Automatic reports will periodically monitor media coverage around a set of keywords or topics and send an email detailing the media coverage pulled during that specific timeframe (i.e., weekly, monthly).
Other media requests
- If you have general inquiries or a request for collaborating on media analysis, the BSO Data Intelligence & Analytics team will be able to support them.
Meltwater User Guidelines
Some TNC Meltwater users will be logging into the system with a generic email address linked to their BU or region. We are referring to these users as "Regional Account Users." Other users have accounts tied to their TNC email addresses and typically are heavier users of the platform, and so we refer to this group as "Power Users."
Regional Account Rules*
*This section applies only to regional account holders - not to power users.
Accounts are monitored and access is granted by BSO team
Why? To ensure ease of use and avoid access issues with too many users. Additionally, to know how many people we are supporting for future contract conversations.
One person will be designated as ‘Admin’
- The admin’s role is to:
- Establish initial account and securely share details with members of that regional account
- Upkeep account login as needed
- Inform BSO team of any issues with account (that would affect all users)
- The Admin’s role is not to:
- Share user account with other staff as they like. People should submit a digital request if they need access
- Be point person for individual user questions or other needs related to Meltwater system support
Organization Guidelines - For all users!
Meltwater has multiple organization tools that will help ensure all users can find the data they need. This combined with our own guidelines should ensure ease of use among users.
1. Naming Conventions
By implementing naming conventions across all saved items, we can a) provide better sorting capabilities & b) empower users to keep up to date lists, dashboards, etc. through quarterly auditing. More details on naming conventions on this page!
2. Employing Filters, Labels and Tags
Meltwater provides the ability to create filters for use in keyword searches based on outlet types, regional locations, etc. Additionally, they allow for the creation of Labels to properly sort multiple saved searches. Lastly, we can employ tags to allocate articles to specific BUs or initiatives.
3. Meltwater Maintenance
On a quarterly or bi-annual basis, the BSO and/or Meltwater team will be in touch to facilitate audits of saved items to ensure unused lists, dashboards, etc. are not remaining saved in the system.
- In general, edit your own stuff only. Consider who owns which lists and content and ask before touching or changing it
- Members of the BSO team will be monitoring lists, dashboards, searches and account logins to ensure that we don’t have idle accounts or content. Please do your due diligence in ensuring your saved items are reviewed quarterly.
Naming Conventions will be key to organizing data in Meltwater & ensuring all users can easily access needed information.
Guidelines to follow:
For every created/saved item, always include a person’s name as well as location and/or other identifying information.
Contacts List Convention: BU (state/region) - First Last - Addt. info
Example: Analytics - Karen Furr - Media Contacts
Dashboard Convention: BU - First Last - Additional info
Examples: Analytics – Karen Furr - Test Dashboard; Global Media – Karen Furr - Monitoring Dashboard
Report Convention: BU - First Last - Additional info
Examples: Analytics - Monthly Global Media Hits; Washington – Karen Furr – Weekly priority media hits
Outlet Filters – (Meltwater is helping us set these up)
Convention: BU - Filter Type - Description
Example: Global - Outlet – Print
Labels (for saved searches) & Tags (for articles) – These will be created centrally to avoid duplication (e.g. Kansas, KS, kansas).
We will ask users to provide a list of labels needed, while Tags will be created at regional/BU level
Saved Keyword Searches: BU – First last – additional info
Example: Global Media – Karen Furr – Land Use